The car industry is leveraging the potential of new vehicle-to-vehicle (V2V) and vehicle-to-infrastructure (V2I) communications to lessen the environmental impact of transportation, make roads safer and reduce traffic congestion.
As Cooperative Intelligent Transport Systems, or C-ITS, become increasingly widespread, IDnomic, a digital ID expert, is actively participating in their expansion. The company’s innovative Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) solution helps to secure V2X (vehicle-to-everything) communications.
Compliant with C-ITS standards, the IDnomic PKI has been deployed to 3,000 vehicles and covers several thousand kilometers of roads throughout France and Europe. The company is affirming its position as a key player in the car industry’s cybersecurity ecosystem.
Cooperative Intelligent Transport Systems (C-ITS) use communication among vehicles and between vehicles and the roadside in order to share essential information, thus optimizing traffic flow and increasing road safety. This technology can be used to warn users, for example, of an approaching priority vehicle, a collision or an emergency braking situation.
V2X messages carrying this critical information use the wireless 802.11p (ITS G5, DSRC) and cellular 4/5G standards. Because a malicious attack could damage infrastructure and endanger lives, guaranteeing the security of these standards is crucial. Personal data confidentiality, made possible by anonymizing information that could otherwise enable car geolocation, is an additional priority.
In partnership with the automobile industry, road infrastructure authorities and governments, IDnomic has brought its expertise to several European ITS pilot projects and guarantees secure communications by making this ecosystem a trusted environment.
Operating principle of an ITS PKI
V2X message authenticity and integrity is based on a PKI infrastructure, designed specifically for Intelligent Transport Systems, which is both robust and flexible and complies with the standards in Europe (ETSI TS 102 941 and TS 103 097) and the United States (IEEE 1609.2).
Each vehicle or roadside unit in an ITS station must be registered with the PKI to obtain a long-term enrollment certificate. This process occurs before the station is commercialized, meaning the station will be identified and recognized within its trusted environment when actual roll-out occurs.
Using the enrollment certificate, the station can then request packs of short-term certificates, known as authorization tickets, which it will use to communicate with other stations. The standards authorize V2X messages to be sent unencrypted, so they can be received and processed by a maximum of ITS stations in the area. Through these two types of certificate, IDnomic guarantees the four pillars of digital trust supporting tomorrow’s transportation systems – authentication, authenticity, integrity and anonymization.
Personal data privacy
The process of data anonymization, a key feature of the IDnomic ITS PKI, makes it impossible to compare data contained in digital certificates and in V2X messages. This protects the privacy of users, who can drive with trust in the knowledge that their itineraries will not be tracked and their personal data privacy will not be violated.
The IDnomic ITS PKI enables management of the complete certificate lifecycle. This includes renewing certificate authorities and certificates as well as revoking the certificates of any station that needs to be removed from the trust domain.
The IDnomic ITS PKI
For the past four years, IDnomic has been developing its ITS PKI platform with the aim of becoming the global leader in secure V2X communication. This platform complies with the ETSI TS 103 097, ETSI TS 102 941 and IEEE 1609.2 standards.
IDnomic has a robust and scalable infrastructure capable of providing the following services:
- Management of several million certificates for vehicles and roadside units in SaaS (Software as a Service) mode
- Certificate authority lifecycle management
- Certificate lifecycle management
- Priority management: private vehicles, priority vehicles, etc.
- Data anonymization to prevent vehicle tracking while guaranteeing personal data privacy
- Independent operation of the communication protocols in effect
- V2X messaging (CAM, DENM, etc.)
IDnomic and ITS projects
IDnomic has a stake in several pilot projects co-financed by the European Commission. Not only do these projects act as testing labs, they provide opportunities to reflect on the question of C-ITS by putting the IDnomic solution to the test under real-life conditions in France and Europe.
- Scoop: Project to roll out C-ITS in France, initiated by the French Minister for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition, in partnership with Renault, PSA and six local authorities and road infrastructure management bodies. IDnomic has deployed its ITS PKI to 3,000 vehicles across 2,000 kilometers of roads in France.
- InterCor: This European project involves Belgium, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom and France. Its goal is to test hybrid communications (ITS G5/DSRC and the cellular network) as well as system interoperability in the participating countries.
- C-Roads: This project involving 19 European countries aims to harmonize the various European systems to ensure cross-border interoperability and compliance with legislation. In France, this includes extending test zones to French roads in order to increase the coverage of ITS services.
IDnomic is also a founding member of the SystemX Institute for Technological Research and is participating in several projects focused on ITS:
- ITS SEcurisés (ISE): In collaboration with French manufacturers and suppliers (PSA, Renault, Valeo), IDnomic’s ITS PKI has been developed and evaluated to protect more than one million vehicles.
- Systèmes Coopératifs Autonomes Sécurisés (SCA): IDnomic is working on the Misbehavior Authority and revocation. As part of this project, the IDnomic ITS PKI is being rolled out on autonomous transportation systems, in collaboration with Transdev.
- Cybersécurité Intelligent Transport (CTI): This project seeks to build synergies in security solutions designed for the automobile (Renault, PSA), rail (RATP), and aerospace (Airbus Defence & Space) industries.
ITS PKI WORKFLOW
Production ready PKI platform for European standard
Download our brochure here or click on the picture